How To Block Ads In Android Apps, Games And Browsers – Ads are a necessary evil, That’s why blocking these ads in android apps, games and browsers has become a necessity too. Many websites and applications are providing you with free service, free content and free software because someone else is paying them to keep them up. Thus, the service provider has to serve ads to you in return for the income that is keeping them in business, and in development. As the user, you reap the benefit of using the product for free.
However, sometimes the ad placements can be really annoying, contributing to not-so-appealing user experience. In this post we will look at methods to block ads from showing up on Android. You can block ads from appearing in apps and games, or only on browsers. The methods here on how to block ads in android apps, games and browsers may work for both rooted and non-rooted devices. It will be specified for each method. Before we begin, you need a File Manager, e.g. Astro File Manager. Any other file manager will work fine.
Disclaimer: Attempt ad-blocking at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for any effects on your device resulting from these methods.
How To Block Ads In Android Apps, Games And Browsers
1. Adblock Plus (ABP)
This method uses ad-blockers (apps) to block all ads in your device, including the ads shown in various apps and games. There are many ad-blockers for Android, thanks to the ever-growing Android developers. The top two would be Adblock Plus (ABP) and AdAway; we wil discuss the former, but you can install AdAway if that’s your preference.
Using Adblock Plus
We’re going with Adblock Plus as it is anopen source project and has the option to allow non-intrusive ads. This method works for both rooted and non-rooted devices. Installing an ad-blocker app requires your device to allow applications from unknown sources.
Sideloading is required as Google has removed ad-block apps from Google playstore. You need to sideload any ad-blocker, i.e. install ad-blockers using its APK file and not from GoogleStore.
Follow the given steps to set this configuration:
- Go to Settings > Applications (orSecurity on 4.0 and above) on your Android device.
- Navigate to the Unknown sourcesoption.
- If unchecked, tap the checkbox, and then tap OK on the confirmation popup.
Your android device is ready to install ad-blockers.
Installing And Configuring Adblock Plus
1. Open a browser in your device and download Adblock Plus for Android. Your device will receive the APK file:adblockplusandroid-version.apk.
2. Navigate to where your downloaded files are kept, then tap on the file and install. (If you open the APK file using a file manager, select Open App Manager and then click on Install.)
3.1 On rooted devices: after installing, open Adblock Plus. It will request for super user permissions. Allow super user permissions to Adblock Plus and you are good to go.
3.2 On non-rooted devices: you need a few more steps, to manually set up proxy in your Android. You will need to follow the instructions here as instructions are different for Android versionsup to 3.1 and 4.0+.s
Now Adblock Plus will start blocking ads. You can set more options in Adblock Plus like ads filter lists, non-intrusive ads, etc in Settings.
Adblock Plus – Browser Extension
Adblock Plus is also available as a browser extension for Firefox. With this method, only the ads shown on web pages inside the browser are blocked. Ads in apps or games are not affected. This method works for rooted as well as non-rooted device.
Setting Up Adblock Plus (Extension)
1. If you are not using Firefox as a browser on your Android yet, get it here. Run the browser on your device and go to the Adblock Plus add-on here. Add it to Firefox and Install it.
2. Restart Firefox and browse ad-free. You can set more options in Adblock Plus by going to the Menu > Adblock Plus and going through the options you can configure.